Friday 21 June 2013

Sweet Caroline

With the great Ray Harryhausen leaving us recently my mind has been wandering back through his classic movies. I have a special place in my affections for "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" for a variety of reasons. Ray's outstanding work comprise most of them, but the stunning Caroline Munro also looms large. She is, without doubt, my first crush.

As a kid I remember seeing her on Lamb's Navy Rum posters and thinking "Hmmmm...who's that girl?". Then later, seeing her light up the screen as slave girl Margiana, I was hooked forever. She continues to captivate, even today, with a timeless modern beauty that successive generations of movie goers will fall for, again and again.

A staple of the festival/convention circuit I hope she feels the love out there for her, and finds joy in the high regard in which she's held. I know that the impact she had on the 12 year old me was profound, and wonderful, and for that I thank her profusely.

Excelsior out!

No comments:

Post a Comment